Preserving our waterslide heritage

• Over the years many excellent waterslides some of great historic importance have been destroyed and consigned to "THE GREAT WATERPARK IN THE SKY"during pool closures when they could have been dismantled and sold for relocation,as our waterslide Heritage is literally going "DOWN THE TUBE"!I am extremly concerned that future generations will be deprived of the experience of the older flumes which are different to the newer ones.Of particular concern are waterslides made by ROLBA-NAUTIC and PPK PROMOPLAST are becoming increasingly rare and will be extinct unless the remaining examples are protected as Heritage items.Some slides of course are absolute rubbish and are not worth preserving,but the good well made waterslides by flumemaking legends like PPK ARE OF OUTSTANDING HISTORIC IMPORTANCE and should be preserved in full working order for us and future generations to enjoy and appreciate in years to come. Has anyone so far thought of establishing a waterpark/museum where such waterslides can be relocated and restored to full working order,operated by The WATERSLIDE HERITAGE TRUST ( does such an organisation exist as yet?)as flume lovers like myself are increasingly concerned about the total disregard of the true value of these remarkable aquatic masterpieces as their story has never been told before! And it would be wonderful to see and experience waterslides of yesteryear which have been saved from destruction rebuilt and restored to full working order in a waterpark setting cared for by those who love them and are dedicated to their preservation as heritage items. WATERSLIDES ARE AN IMPORTANT PART OF OUR CULTURAL AND SOCIAL HISTORY AND SHOULD BE REGARDED AS SUCH!

• I think there is a change of time. In the years before, nobody seems to look at security risks when building spectacular slides. At first, I see the problem there, why old slides are destroyed and new ones are build up. Second, I think the materials changed, so new slides will last longer and the total running costs are lower.
    But as you said, it is bad to see that the old slides will be gone forever. A "memory of slides park" is a great idea ;) I didn't see any museum, which has old waterslides in its portfolio. Anyone?

• our waterslide heritage is not just the slides themselves.It is all the artifacts relating to waterslides which are numerous and varied.This includes explaining how waterslides are made with the aid of various displays and exhibits including the tools and processes used in flumemaking from legendary flumemakers that ceases flumemaking years ago as the tools and secrets of the legendary flumemakers are just as important as the flumes themselves! as many flumers are unaware of where flumes come from! A reconstruction of a flumemakers workshop revealing the secrets of the great and noble art of flumemaking would be a wonderful idea!

• I support this idea so much. It just makes me sad when I see that slides like the green speed tube in Reichshof-Eckenhagen or the old slides of Océade in Brussels just end on the waste dump. I love old slides, even when they are decayed a little, that gives a very special feeling I really like.
    Also old Black Hole slides are cooler than new ones. The new slides have all interactive and multimedial effects, but the main aim of a "Black Hole" - being black and with nice waterfalls, sharp curves and few light - is nearly never achieved any more in today's slides.

I also don't understand why pools like Miramar Weinheim paint their old slides from outside so the whole slide experience is completely destroyed compared to the old, translucent tubes.

I think that it wouldn't even be very difficult to get these old slides, the pools are happy if they can give it to someone instead of paying enormous disposal costs which will be around 1000 Euro per slide.
    If I had a lot of space, I would immediately try to obtain all these slides that are not used any more, make it safe so the TüV can accept it, renew the inner side of the flume and then open a flume museum. I'm sure that many people would visit this. I certainly would ;)